StorageMax would like to help make your move less stressful by providing you with moving suggestions and tips. Organizing and preparing weeks ahead of your move ensures a successful re-location and dramatically reduces mistakes and stress.
6-8 Weeks Before Moving - Clean Out, Hire Movers and Pay Attention to Detail
- Begin choosing which items will be moving with you, which will be placed in storage and which you can do without! Also consider which items you would like to move yourself, and which can be trusted with the movers.
- If you don't have a moving company in mind, get references and take bids from several different companies. We are also happy to recommend reliable, local movers.
- Many moving expenses are tax-deductible, so maintain a file with important information and receipts for moving related expenses.
- If moving to a new community, find out about the schools, parks, recreation, and community programs from the local Chamber of Commerce or Visitor's Bureau.
- Transfer medical, property, fire and auto insurance through your insurance agent.
- Place all your medical records in a safe place. Do not forget prescriptions, vaccination records and other important information.
4-5 Weeks Before Moving - Gather Supplies, Register Community Changes and Set Up Utilities
- If you are planning to do some part of the packing, start collecting moving and packing supplies. These can be purchased from our supply shop.
- Contact the post office and fill out an US postal change of address form and provide your new address to your utility companies, internet, phone and cable companies.
- If you have children, ensure they are registered at their new schools or find a trusted daycare provider in your new community.
- Contact utility companies - electricity, gas, phone and others for disconnection after your scheduled move out. And call ahead to have utilities connected to your new home.
- If you have pets make arrangements for transportation. Find out if there are specific requirements for pet ownership in your new township. Also obtain the veterinarian records.
2-4 Weeks Before Moving - Begin Packing and Disposing Items
- You may NOT want to pack your valuables in the moving vehicle; consider taking them with you.
- Plants - some state laws do not allow moving house plants across borders so prepare for this ahead of time.
- Depending on the length of your move, if you are going to travel by car, you may want to get the automobile serviced prior to your departure.
- Start packing items you don't currently need.
- Don't forget anything in basements, attics, and closets; Clearing out safety deposit boxes may also be in order.
- Back up important computer files. Avoid exposure to extreme temperatures.
- Dispose of inflammable items like fireworks, cleaning fluids, matches, acids, chemistry sets and other hazardous items.
1 Week Before Moving - Ensure Proper Labeling and Double Check Your Plans
- Make sure your items are labeled: 'fragile', 'load first', 'load last', and 'do not load'. This is important to ensure the safety of your items.
- Ensure that your moving company knows the correct address and phone number your new home.
- It is important to empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator at least a day before moving.
- Make plans flexible and make contingency arrangements in case of delays.
- Pack a box separately with the things you will need immediately upon arriving at your new home.
Moving Out - Don't Leave Anything Behind
- Thoroughly check your closets, drawers, shelves, attic, and garage to make sure nothing is left.
- Turn off all the switches and lock all doors and windows.
- Be around throughout the loading process. Inspect the premises and see to it that nothing is left behind.
- There must be someone to direct the movers. The driver must have in writing your name and phone number.
- Sign the bill of lading and make sure your new address and phone number are correct.
- While unloading, make sure there is no damage or missing items. Make sure utilities are connected. Plan out placement of major items in your home.