- Visit or call the storage facility you select and have a list of the items you are going to be storing. This will help determine what size unit you need.
- Be sure the storage facility offers all that you need. A few to consider may be location, 24 hour access, security features, heated and cooled, etc.
- Consider purchasing a heated and cooled unit if you are planning on storing items sensitive to temperature - candles, some furniture, CD's, photos, etc.
- Purchase a secure lock! One of the most highly recommended is a disk lock which can be purchased at the storage facility.
- Look into insurance for the items you will be storing. Sometimes your homeowners or renters insurance will cover items in storage. Our facilities also offer insurance from another company. Just ask.
- Make an inventory of the items you are storing and keep it in a safe, easy-to-find location. For highly valuable items it is recommended that you take photos as well.
- Stack your things in similar sized boxes as they will be easier to stack.
- Stack heavier items on the bottom - But be sure not to over pack boxes so they get too heavy and dangerous.
- Avoid stacking things directly against the wall to leave room for some air flow in the unit.
- Use pallets or blankets to keep items off the floor of the unit.
- Make a plan on how to organize your unit. This will save you time in the long run. You can store couches on end, stack chairs seat to seat, and use larger items to store blankets, clothes, and smaller knickknacks.