StorageMax Self Storage Tips
The following tips will help you make the best use of your locker space and ensure safe and secure storage for your belongings:
- Leave a walkway down the center of your unit to make accessing all items easier.
- You may need to purchase shelving units to better utilize your storage space. This could even make your space needs smaller and save you money!
- Label all boxes on all sides. Again, this will save you time in the long run.
- Pack items that you will be frequently accessing towards the front - common sense, we know.
- Take apart large items, such as bed frames, tables, etc. This will save space and prevent them from breaking. Be sure to keep all parts together. Keep screws and smaller items handy by taping them to the larger item they belong to.
- If storing appliances be sure to clean them out first! Leave the door slightly open on refrigerators and microwaves to prevent mildew.
- Rub a small amount of oil on metal tools, bikes, etc. This will prevent rust - but be sure to separate these to not get oil on other things!
- Store mirrors and paintings on end, do not lay them flat. Wrap and indicate they are fragile.
- Lay blankets or cloth over and between furniture to prevent scratching.
- Store any sort of food item in a storage unit as it will attract rodents.
- Leave paint, oil, or gasoline in your storage unit. Drain all gas and oil from lawnmowers, snow blowers, etc. It is against the law to store hazardous or combustible materials such as these.
- Put mothballs in boxes, they could possibly leave stains on clothing.
- Give any untrusted source access codes or keys to your storage unit.
- Hesitate to ask the facility manager any questions you may have before or during move-in!